About Me

My photo
I love my family like crazy, although we're a bit nutty I think we are more functional than most familes I've met. I like to blog and often am trying to figure out what site is best, so far I've settled on blogger. I love cats and very very well behaved dogs (but there really aren't that many around are there?) Diagnosed with an eating disorder, but I am trying not to let it define me.

Monday, August 29, 2011

20 minutes at home

I notice the way you blow the smoke out of your mouth, turning away from me. As if by doing this I cannot see the baby bump underneath your clothing. You pick the chair towards the house so passersby won't see you lighting up when you're pregnant.  I look away down the block trying to think of some common ground we have to talk about.
I start the small talk up again, luckily you run away with it. You love to elaborate. Or if I'm being more honest you love to lie. I can hardly stand to listen because I know that you can't have a conversation without telling lies. You lean over and flick the ash into the coffee can my mom put out here for butts. All the while you are telling me about a coworker who lets her children play violent video games. I tsk in all the right places. I agree that children shouldn't play those games. I also know that your own play them but in this story you've left that tidbit out. How conveniently you forget this.
My mom comes out to smoke with you and so I don't feel the need to chit chat anymore and I go inside. The babies are dancing to Elmo's World. They look so cute. Adam loses interest before his cousin and comes over to the couch where I am sitting. He rests his blonde head on my lap and looks up at me. I can't resist him and pick him up. He giggles and squirms away, crawling onto the coffee table. I know this game, I hold out my hands and he throw himself at me. Giggling hysterically we do this about 10 more times before I finally kiss him and put him down. Chloe looks over and shyly smiles at me, she isn't as sure of me as Adam. I wish I was home more so she'd get used to me, I love her so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment